Site Risks of COVID Exposure Lowered by ACT Health as System Struggles Under Pressure from Virus Testing | Canberra weather

news, act-politics,

Health officials have lowered risk assessments for a series of close-contact COVID-19 exposure sites, in an apparent concession the territory cannot contain the virus or cope with its meteoric impact on the country’s resources. testing and plotting. The symptom exposure site definition monitor was reintroduced on Tuesday and sites demoted to that status included overcrowded locations where significant transmission of the coronavirus was identified. Under the new approach, these sites will have no formal isolation or testing requirements for participants. The move that will release people early from quarantine and ease pressure on overwhelmed testing clinics by requiring that fewer people who have come in contact with the virus be tested. ACT Health said the new risk assessments will focus on identifying sites where COVID-19 is at risk of being transmitted in high-risk environments, such as healthcare facilities and at-risk population groups. The ACT broke its daily record for the number of cases again on Tuesday with 252 new COVID-19 infections, as significant demand for PCR tests continued at government-run clinics. There were 908 active cases of COVID-19 as of 8 p.m. Monday evening. The Belconnen basement, which had been identified as a close contact exposure site on the night of Friday, December 17, was reclassified as a symptom surveillance site on Tuesday, despite widespread transmission of the virus. ACT’s director of health, Dr Kerryn Coleman, said last Thursday that exposure times at the Basement and Mooseheads nightclub would remain classified as close contact sites. “I would consider them to be high risk impact sites. Absolutely,” Dr Coleman said at the time. ACT Health says locations where monitors are exposed “have a lower risk of further transmission” to those present. ACT Health said changes to exposure sites would not change the requirement that people be tested for COVID-19 if classified as contacts based on interactions with a confirmed case. “People without symptoms who have been to a ‘symptom watch’ location at the specified time no longer need to be quarantined and do not need COVID-19 testing,” ACT said Health in a press release. “However, people who have frequented these places should be especially vigilant for any symptoms, and if they do develop they should get tested with a COVID-19 PCR test and self-isolate until they are ‘a negative result is received. ” ACT’s registration phone application, Check In CBR, will issue push notifications for exhibition sites and ACT Health will no longer send text messages to inform people that they have been at an exhibition site. exposure. READ MORE: People who self-isolate because they had been at an occasional exposure site that was downgraded to a symptom monitoring site could leave quarantine immediately if they had no symptoms, without needing to hear ACT Health. The rapid rise in ACT COVID-19 infections prompted a hospital insider to warn that a large number of cases would significantly reduce the capacity of the health system as a whole, as staff were forced into isolation. Calvary Hospital emergency department consultant Dr David Caldicott said healthcare workers “breathed a collective sigh of relief” as the Delta COVID wave abated, but now assumed the situation would get worse. ” well before improving “. “We are healing our wounds and preparing to return to the battlefield. There is no one in healthcare who thinks it’s over, it’s cool, it’s sweet,” he said. -he declares. Dr Caldicott said relieving the pressure on intensive care involves repeating tried and tested measures over the New Year, including reintroducing density limits and wearing masks to limit the number of cases of COVID in the community. But he admitted there was a “political imperative” for leaders fearing electoral repercussions after reintroducing tough measures. “Encouraging people to attend New Years Eve celebrations is not the pinnacle of healthcare advice,” he said. with Hannah Neale Our coverage of the health and safety aspects of this COVID-19 outbreak in the ACT is free to everyone. However, we depend on subscription revenues to support our journalism. If you can, subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support. You can also subscribe to our newsletters for regular updates. Our reporters work hard to provide local and up-to-date news to the community. Here’s how you can continue to access our trusted content:

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/35sFyBanpD896MKnAH5FRtj/a6d4226f-958e-4c08-a0e0-442364eed983.jpg/r2_334_4298_2761_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leave a Comment