Neither is Royal. Prince Andrew was stripped of his titles as he learned he could stand trial in his ongoing sexual assault trial.
“With the Queen’s approval and consent, the Duke of York’s military affiliations and royal patronages have been returned to the Queen,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Thursday, January 13. and defends this case as a private citizen.
Earlier this week, a judge rejected the 61-year-old royal’s request to dismiss a lawsuit brought by Virginie giuffre, who claimed that the late Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell made her sleep with Andrew when she was 17.
The prince’s lawyers claimed the lawsuit should be thrown out because of a settlement Giuffre, now 38, made with Epstein in 2009, but the judge disagreed.
“Ms. Giuffre’s complaint is neither ‘unintelligible’, ‘vague’ or ‘ambiguous,'” Judge Lewis Kaplan wrote in his Wednesday, Jan. 12 decision. particular circumstances at three identifiable locations. He identifies to whom he attributes this sexual abuse.
According to CNN, the Duke of York has until July 14 to answer questions about the case under oath. If the case is not settled by then, a trial date could be set between September and December.
In November 2019, Andrew announced he would be stepping back from royal duties “for the foreseeable future” after his association with Epstein, who was found dead months before, and Maxwell, 60, made headlines.
“I continue to unequivocally regret my misguided association with Jeffrey Epstein,” the former helicopter pilot said at the time. “His suicide has left many questions unanswered, especially for his victims, and I deeply sympathize with all those affected and who want some form of closure. I can only hope that in time they can rebuild their lives. Of course, I am ready to assist any appropriate law enforcement agency with their investigations, if needed.
The Palace’s latest announcement comes after weeks of speculation that Andrew would be forced to give up his title amid the ongoing scandal. Before stepping down from his public life as a royal, he denied Giuffre’s allegations in a BBC interview.
“I have no memory of ever meeting this lady, nothing at all,” he said in November 2019. “It just never happened.”
Andrew is the second son of Queen elizabeth ii, making him ninth in line to the throne. He shares girls Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie with his ex-wife, Sarah ferguson.
If you or someone you know has been sexually abused, call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673). A qualified staff member will provide confidential, non-judgmental support and local resources to help with healing, recovery and more.
Listen to the Royally Us podcast for everything you want to know about our favorite family across the pond.