Police have released the identity of a man potentially linked to a deadly cocaine trafficking incident in Newcastle last week.
The body of a diver was recovered from Newcastle Port last Monday. Nearby police also found what they believe to be roughly 50 kilograms’ worth of cocaine.
On Tuesday police revealed they are searching for 32-year-old Jhoni Fernandes Da Silva who is wanted by the Organized Crime Squad.
Detective Superintendent Robert Critchlow said Mr Da Silva “may have some knowledge about what has happened” to the diver, the ABC reported.
He is described as being of South American appearance, about 180cm tall, of a muscular build, with a shaved head, brown eyes and unshaven.
“Anyone who sighted Jhoni, or has information about his whereabouts, is urged not to approach him, and to call triple-0 immediately,” police said in a statement.
Last week, police released CCTV images of two people they believe may be able to assist with their inquiries into the death of the diver.
It is believed the drugs were strapped to the hull of a ship which arrived in Newcastle from Argentina on the day before the diver’s body was found.
Police say a large quantity of the drugs could still be still missing with an estimated street value of $20 million.