COVID 19: Ontario hospitalizations continue to climb, 35 new deaths; 532 new cases in Ottawa

Content of the article

Ontario reported 35 new deaths and a growing number of hospitalizations on Thursday.

Advertising

Content of the article

The total number of hospitalizations in the province rose to 3,630 Thursday from 3,488 Wednesday.

There are currently 500 people in intensive care, 481 of whom are currently testing positive. Of these, 261 are on a ventilator.

Health Minister Christine Elliott noted on Twitter that 54% of hospitalized patients were admitted for COVID-19, while 46% were admitted for other reasons but tested positive for COVID-19. In intensive care, 82% of patients admitted for COVID-19, while 18% were admitted for other reasons but tested positive for COVID-19.

The seven-day moving average of COVID-19 patients in intensive care is 436.

Elliott reported 9,909 new confirmed cases on Thursday.

The minister also tweeted that 78.1% of Ontario’s total population had been fully vaccinated, but those vaccinated only accounted for 181 of Ontario’s 500 ICU admissions.

Advertising

Content of the article

Public Health Ontario reported that 1,905 long-term care residents have a confirmed active case of COVID-19, along with 3,609 staff members. Nine new deaths have been reported in long-term care.

In Ottawa-area health units, the Eastern Ontario Health Unit, which includes Hawkesbury and Cornwall, reported 220 new cases; 54 in Kingston; 56 in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark and 35 in Renfrew City and County.

On Thursday, the test positive rate in Ontario was 21.4%.

Because testing has been limited, the reported cases are an underestimate of the actual cases.

Meanwhile, the Ontario Chamber of Commerce is asking the provincial government to announce whether businesses closed under the latest pandemic restrictions will be allowed to reopen on January 26.

Advertising

Content of the article

President and CEO Rocco Rossi said in a statement Thursday that now that the province announced the return of schools on Monday, it is time to clear things up for business.

The government announced on January 3 that due to the highly transmissible variant of Omicron leading to an increase in COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations, schools would move online until at least January 17 and restrictions would be imposed. businesses until at least January 26.

Latest news on COVID-19 in Ottawa

Ottawa Public Health reported 532 new confirmed cases and one new death on Thursday.

The health agency is aware of 6,352 active cases in the city, and 57 people are in hospital with an active infection and eight in intensive care.

Hospital figures do not include patients who went to hospital for other medical conditions and later tested positive for COVID-19.

Advertising

Content of the article

OPH reported 14 new outbreaks in health care facilities for a total of 138 open outbreaks – 21 in long-term care homes, 27 in hospitals, 39 in retirement homes and 51 in “other” facilities.

There are also two ongoing outbreaks in daycares and schools.

OPH has suspended community outbreak reporting.

The test positivity rate is 32.

Ottawa Public Health noted that provincial limits on the average number of test cases may be much higher than reported.

Latest COVID-19 news from Quebec

Quebec has registered 8,793 new cases of COVID-19, the province said Thursday.

Note that the case tally only includes people who received PCR tests at government testing clinics, where access is now strictly limited.

Advertising

Content of the article

Quebec says the total no longer accurately reflects the number of cases in the province since it does not include results from rapid home tests.

In addition, 45 new deaths have been reported.

The number of Quebecers in hospitals and their intensive care units has reached a new high.

Hospital admissions increased by 117, to a total of 2,994, while intensive care admissions increased by nine, to a total of 272.

There were 111,395 doses of vaccine administered in the previous 24 hours.

Elementary and secondary school students in Quebec will return to class on Monday.

Students will be required to wear masks at all times inside schools and will have access to rapid COVID-19 tests.

Premier François Legault says about 98% of high school students have received one dose of the vaccine while 89% have received two doses. Nearly 60% of primary school students received the first doses.

-With files from Postmedia and The Canadian Press

Advertising

comments

Postmedia is committed to maintaining a vibrant but civil discussion forum and encourages all readers to share their views on our articles. Comments may take up to an hour of moderation before appearing on the site. We ask that you keep your comments relevant and respectful. We have enabled email notifications. You will now receive an email if you receive a reply to your comment, if there is an update to a comment thread that you follow, or if a user that you follow comments. Check out our community guidelines for more information and details on how to adjust your email settings.

Leave a Comment