HARTFORD, Conn. (CBS New York) — A 13-year-old Connecticut college student is in critical condition after overdosing on fentanyl at school.
The chilling scene happened Thursday at the Sports and Medical Sciences Academy in Hartford.
READ MORE: Police: Woman dies after being pushed past oncoming subway in Times Square, suspect in custody
Police believe a seventh grader brought the drugs to class and then drove to a gymnasium, where they were found unconscious after ingesting fentanyl.
Authorities are urging parents to talk to their children.
READ MORE: The mayor of Passaic warns of possible evacuations if a massive fire manages to spread to the chlorine reserves; Nearby residents are asked to keep windows closed
“Make sure they know how serious and dangerous any unknown substance and drug can be,” Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin said.
“I am shocked at what is happening. I just don’t understand how fentanyl gets to school,” said parent Derrick Reynolds.
Two other students who were exposed to fentanyl were taken to a local hospital and released.
NO MORE NEWS: New York Weather: Saturday Afternoon 1/15 CBS2 Weather Headlines
Police say 40 bags of opioids were found at the school.